There are currently no classes scheduled.
Learn the art of event design and decor from industry leaders.
This noncredit course will teach you techniques and formulas to design signature events.
Gain an understanding of how to charge for services, present concepts to attract high-end clients, and perfect your presentation skills.
In this instructor led course you will learn step-by-step processes, pricing formulas, and design techniques to transform ordinary spaces into a client’s sumptuous vision.
Events are designed to be remembered. Whether you are transforming an old warehouse into a romantic, starry night sky with moonbeams for an engagement party or creating a table scape that includes a 4-foot hydrangea dog sculpture for a baby shower, events are designed to create lifelong memories for guests.
In this course you will learn:
- The creative process to discover and define your own formula for creativity
- How to design client expectations and the process of communicating creative concepts
- Color Theory, Color Palettes, and Styles of Architecture and Design
- The methodology behind design approach, including formulas for design and budget
- Where and how to get wholesale design materials such as fabrics, florals, table-settings, center pieces, and lighting
- How to plot and read floor plans
- CAD software options used by designers
- How to create renderings
- How to present design concepts and how to sell your design services
- The formula for designing the Emotional Event Experience (E3)
- How to create and sell signature statement pieces
- Where to find design resources and establish vendor partnerships
- How to prepare a bid for RFP’s including scope of work project pricing, research, and cost analysis.
- The formulas to price your design services and charge for rentals.
- How to set up your event design company or expand your design services.
Note: The course fee includes the instructor, weekly mentoring discussions, online curriculum, course textbook, exam fee, certificate from the Wedding Planning Institute, student center library of resources, instructional videos and templates. Through the online student center students can also connect with other students around the world in discussion boards, messaging, blogs and individual online classes.
VCU OCPE is a university partner with Lovegevity's Wedding Planning Institute (LWPI), which was founded with the purpose of providing aspiring wedding and event planners with the best possible education.
Some VCU OCPE offerings are ineligible for waiver use due to partnership agreements. The following text will appear on the registration page: “*exempt—this offering is ineligible for waiver use.”