Take the next step
Ready to partner on a tailor-made training solution for your organization? Contact us today to get started.
Let’s design a solution together.
Training shouldn’t be one-size-fits-all. That’s why we treat every organization as unique, working with you to tweak, enhance or design from scratch the ideal program to suit your needs.
Through the combined expertise of our Office of Continuing and Professional Education staff and our extensive list of outside partners, we customize training opportunities to advance the knowledge and skills of your employees. Virginia Commonwealth University claims more than 3,200 instructional faculty and adjunct instructors, an academic medical center, long-standing community relationships and a central location in Virginia’s capital, which provide our office with ample resources to draw from. We serve all sectors and industries, including K-12, corporate, nonprofit, state and federal agencies and military.
Working with you, we will:
- Conduct a needs assessment to identify issues, gaps in skills and opportunities to improve performance
- Determine a training budget
- Research and secure a subject matter expert/instructor
- Develop training content in collaboration with the instructor
- Determine the best possible training delivery and location
Our areas of expertise
While we can craft any program from scratch, we also have some areas in which we specialize. Here are a few:
Mediation and negotiation skills training
Through the Virginia Center for Consensus Building, we strive to provide public and private stakeholders with the tools to create quicker, better and cheaper solutions to public policy disputes. Training in negotiation and mediation skills is focused on how to function productively in the public policy arena. We employ role-playing exercises based on actual legislative and regulatory issues to demonstrate key points and give participants practical hands-on experience in negotiation and mediation.
This training would benefit local and regional elected officials and government employees, as well as anyone negotiating in the public arena. Please contact executive director Mark E. Rubin, J.D., at (804) 828-1235 or email@example.com for more information.
Language classes for community groups and organizations
We can customize language and cultural competency classes for industry-based needs including health care, emergency services, education, nonprofit sector, government and business. Classes are offered to community groups and agencies with at least 10 students and can be arranged on or off campus. Classes are competitively priced and can be offered as for-credit or noncredit options. We tailor all languages and cultural competency classes to the organization being served and the students in the class.
A tradition of partnerships
Our practice of developing successful training programs extends to partners across the commonwealth. These past and current partners include:
- Chesapeake Bay Academy: Ongoing support for life sciences program for K-12 science teachers
- Rappahannock Community College: Training for Region III administrative leadership
- Richmond Memorial Health Foundation: Ongoing support of the Nurse Leadership Institute
- Smithsonian Natural History Museum and the American Art Museum: Ongoing support of teacher enrichment programs
- Virginia Council on Economic Education: Ongoing support for K-12 middle and high school teacher programming
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality: Mediation skills training
- Virginia Municipal Clerks Association: Development of institutes, academies and annual conferences approved by the International Institute of Municipal Clerks
- Virginia Surveyors Association: Credit and noncredit training opportunities for VSA members
- VCU Human Resources: Mediation skills training
- VCU School of Education’s Center for Teacher Leadership: Support of the Richmond Teacher Residency program, funded by Department of Education grants
- VCU School of Social Work: Noncredit play therapy certificate program with a first offering slated for spring 2015
- Ongoing delivery of cultural competency and language programs to the VCU, VCU Medical Center and Richmond communities:
- American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia: Spanish for lawyers
- City of Richmond Fire Department: Spanish for management and preparedness
- Grace and Holy Trinity Church: Spanish for nonprofits
- Virginia Eye Institute: Spanish for health care professionals
- VCU Police: Spanish for management and preparedness
- VCU School of Dentistry: Spanish for dentists and dental hygienists