Your partners in nontraditional higher education
The Virginia Commonwealth University Office of Continuing and Professional Education harnesses the power of VCU — including more than 3,200 instructional faculty and adjunct instructors, an academic medical center and long-standing community relationships — to create the best learning opportunities available to nontraditional adult learners.
Our team covers the gamut in nontraditional higher education, offering services such as:
- Noncredit, credit and CEU continuing education programming
- Customized training for all sectors
- Organizational needs analysis
- Content development
- World-renowned subject matter experts/instructors
- Logistical program support
- Real-time labor market analysis
- Skills training in negotiation and mediation
- Cultural competency and language courses
- Personal enrichment offerings
VCU OCPE also serves as home to the Virginia Center for Consensus Building, headed by Mark E. Rubin, J.D., formerly executive director of government relations for VCU. The Center for Consensus Building provides mediation services and negotiation skills training to state, local and regional entities and to private stakeholders.
How we got here
VCU has a rich history of addressing the needs of nontraditional learners, beginning in the 1920s with Night College. VCU OCPE, launched in July 2014, takes this tradition a step further by centralizing operations and offering wide-ranging services to the university and the community at large. The office combines the functions of two previous entities — the School of Education’s Center for Professional Growth and the Division of Community Engagement’s Office of Continuing Studies — to create a single, comprehensive hub for delivering and supporting quality learning experiences to individuals and organizations through continuing education and professional development.
The Office of Continuing and Professional Education, in partnership with the colleges and schools at Virginia Commonwealth University, provides and supports quality continuing and professional education, skills training and public policy mediation services for individual, local, regional and national impact.
VCU OCPE will align its priorities to the appropriate themes of VCU's Strategic Plan, Quest 2025: Together We Transform.
VCU OCPE will provide:
- Comprehensive logistical support for continuing education and professional development activities for the colleges and schools at VCU and VCU Health System, achieving sustainable growth over time
- Educational opportunities that further personal, professional and organizational growth
- Customized solutions and mediation services to our partners in the marketplace
- Lifelong learning opportunities for VCU alumni