Your partners in nontraditional higher education
VCU Continuing and Professional Education harnesses the power of VCU — including more than 3,300 instructional faculty and adjunct instructors, an academic medical center and long-standing community relationships — to create the best learning opportunities available to nontraditional adult learners.
Our team covers the gamut in nontraditional higher education, offering services such as:
- Noncredit and credit programming, including CEU events
- Digital badging
- Customized training for all sectors
- Organizational needs analysis
- Content development
- World-renowned subject matter experts/instructors
- Logistical program support
- Real-time labor market analysis
- Personal enrichment offerings
How we got here
VCU has a rich history of addressing the needs of nontraditional learners, beginning in the 1920s with Night College. VCU Continuing and Professional Education, launched in July 2014, takes this tradition a step further by centralizing operations and offering wide-ranging services to the university and the community at large. The office combines the functions of two previous entities to create a single, comprehensive hub for delivering and supporting quality learning experiences to individuals and organizations through continuing education and professional development. In February 2021, VCU Continuing and Professional Education merged with VCU Online and the VCU Academic Learning Transformation Lab (ALT Lab), now VCU Online for Faculty.
VCU Continuing and Professional Education, in partnership with the colleges and schools at Virginia Commonwealth University, provides and supports quality continuing and professional education and skills training for individual, local, regional and national impact.
VCU Continuing and Professional Education will align its priorities to the appropriate themes of VCU's Strategic Plan, Quest 2028: One VCU Together We Transform.
VCU Continuing and Professional Education will provide:
- Comprehensive logistical support for continuing education and professional development activities for the colleges and schools at VCU and VCU Health System, achieving sustainable growth over time
- Educational opportunities that further personal, professional and organizational growth
- Customized solutions to our partners in the marketplace
- Lifelong learning opportunities for VCU alumni