VCU Continuing and Professional Education accepts Senior Citizen Waivers for credit and noncredit courses/events based on the following policy in accordance with VCU policy and the law of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Credit bearing courses/events:
VCU Continuing and Professional Education follows the VCU Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver policy based on the Senior Citizen’s Higher Education Program for credit based courses. Information on this program can be found at the following link:
The credit based Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver form can be downloaded at the following link:
There are two types of noncredit courses/events offered by VCU Continuing and Professional Education, as they pertain to the use of Senior Citizen Waivers.
- VCU Continuing and Professional Education courses/events offered in partnership with private organizations / third party vendors, hereinafter referred to as Third Party Partnerships.
- VCU Continuing and Professional Education courses/events solely through VCU or through VCU in partnership with other public institutions, hereinafter referred to solely as VCU Continuing and Professional Education courses/events.
VCU Continuing and Professional Education Third Party Partnership courses/events do not offer the option for use of Senior Citizen Waivers. These courses are identified on the VCU Continuing and Professional Education website with the indication of “*exempt--this offer is ineligible for waiver use.” This indication will be on the course/event webpage or in the course/event description.
All other VCU Continuing and Professional Education courses/events are open to the use of Senior Citizen Waivers, and follow closely the terms of Senior Citizen Waivers used for credit bearing courses:
- The course/event must make the minimum posted enrollment of paying participants before it will be opened up to participants using waivers. In addition, on the start date, the minimum enrollment for paying students must still be met.
- Up to three courses/events per semester may be taken.
- The participant must be eligible via the same age and income standards listed in the credit bearing policy link.
- Paying participants will be accommodated first.
- Participants requesting waiver will need to complete a VCU Continuing and Professional Education Senior Citizen Waiver Form for Noncredit Courses/Events. This is not the same form used for credit bearing courses. Submission instructions are located on the form.
- Participants must be residents of the state of Virginia for 12 months prior to the term in which the wavier is to be used.
The Senior Citizen Waiver policy shall apply except that the senior citizen shall be subject to the cost of paying for special course and materials fees such as textbooks, laboratory fees, art fees, or any other class materials costs or costs associated with activities, trips, or events in which the class participates outside of the traditional classroom.
Please contact us directly at (804) 828-1322 or firstname.lastname@example.org to request a VCU Continuing and Professional Education Senior Citizen Waiver form.