- Program overview
- Why choose VCU
- Enrollment and financing
- Frequently asked questions
- About the paralegal industry
- Meet your instructors
- Paralegal industry resources
What's your next step?
In light of the latest COVID-19 developments, the August 2020 cohort will now be held fully online. Please check the return to campus website, One VCU: Responsible Together, for the latest news and updates.
August 18, 2020-February 4, 2021
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6-9 p.m.
Registration Fee: $4,995.00
Trying to determine if the VCU Paralegal Certificate is right for you? Our informational video may help.
Not sure if the VCU Paralegal Certificate is for you?
Virginia Commonwealth University is a premier urban, public research university with many nationally ranked academic programs. The VCU paralegal training program is among the best in Richmond and potentially the U.S. A Paralegal Certificate from VCU prepares our students to be competitive in the Virginia legal job market. Participating in the classroom program for six months will provide you the training and skills to pursue your successful career in the legal field.
VCU’s exciting noncredit paralegal studies certificate program is designed for you, the working student. Your success is our priority. You can be assured that we will prepare you for your new paralegal career.
The paralegal studies certificate program is divided into six courses, including Introduction to Law, Torts & Personal Injury, Legal Research & Writing, Civil Litigation, Contract Law, and Business Law. You can learn more about our courses on the program overview page.
What Makes VCU’s Paralegal Certificate Program Stand Out?
- Classroom sessions are offered in a convenient evening classroom format for the adult learner.
- Classes are usually held on the beautiful downtown Richmond, Virginia campus. Please note that the August 2020 cohort will be online.
- Our top notch instructors are practicing attorneys and have many years of experience as law practitioners. They are specifically selected for their knowledge and effective teaching ability.
- Your coursework is designed to be practical and applicable to the current legal field.
VCU’s Paralegal Certificate will help you:
- Have a great understanding of the legal environment
- Apply the different standards of care in negligence actions
- Conduct legal analysis and research
- Work in the context of civil litigation by learning both the Federal Rules and Virginia Rules of Civil Procedure
- Assist in preparing cases for courtroom litigation
- Understand the basics of contract law and the elements necessary to draft a valid contract
- Comprehend the operation of the American legal system, legal rules and ethical constraints on businesses
If you’ve decided that the paralegal studies program at VCU is right for you, enroll today. Ask about our VCU Alumni or military discount. Coupon code must be used/applied at the time of enrollment, cannot be combined with other discounts/coupons or waivers, and will not be retroactively applied.